I had the good fortune to interview Lisa Louise Cooke, Genealogy Media Producer & Host of the
The Genealogy Gems Podcast at the Roostech 2011 Conference in Salt Lake City.
Lisa Louise Cooke recently released two new products for the Genealogist.
The Genealogist’s Google Toolbar – a 202 page guide packed full of helpful hints for finding one’s ancestors. Lisa hopes this guide will become a “well loved dog eared reference book” that sits next to your computer.
This book includes tips on how to use
- Google Search – make your genealogy searches more productive
- Google Alerts – your personal genealogy research assistant (I use this feature every day to find mentions of my ancestor’s surnames). This book shows you how to set this up.
- Gmail: never loose another email
- iGoogle – how to create a genealogy research dashboard
- Google Books – find the world’s history at your fingertips
- Google News Timeline
- Google Translate
- YouTube Videos – Your family history in action
- Google Earth
Lisa is a ‘detail’ gal and it shows as she anticipates the inevitable questions in a well organized format. I like how she includes “Keys to Success” and Quick Tips. There are links to videos for further guidance. This is a practical guide for the genealogist and I recommend it for my readers.
Google Earth for Genealogy Volume II – this volume expands on the concepts covered in Volume I and includes the following sections.
- Pinpoint Your Ancestors Property
- Locate Original Land Survey
- Customize Place Marks and Add Photographs
- Add Videos to Maps
- Add Focus with Polygons and Paths
- Incorporate 3D Models of Ancestral Locations
- Create and Share Family History Tours
I haven’t had an opportunity to explore this product in great depth yet but a quick overview has me wanting to dive in. Lisa’s first DVD was a useful reference guide and it looks like Volume II will be too.
Be sure to watch the video above!
Lisa Louise Cooke is the owner of Genealogy Gems, a genealogy multi-media company. She is producer and host of the popular online family history audio show “The Genealogy Gems Podcast, as well as the monthly Family Tree Magazine Podcast. Her podcasts bring genealogy news, research strategies, expert interviews and inspiration to family historians in 75 countries around the world.
[Disclosure – Complimentary copies of these products were received. I believe this did not influence my review of these products. I call it as I see and I have no affiliation with the sales of this product.]