A retired lab manager, Joan Miller is a genetic genealogist who uses DNA, technology and social media to complement traditional genealogy research. Her genetic genealogy activities include Y-DNA project administrator and coordination of the Alberta Family Histories Society (AFHS) DNA Special Interest Group.
Joan has been involved in genealogical research for over 20 years and she tries hard not to bore the rest of the family with her hobby (addiction?). Several family members do read her blog and they all love the family tree banners she creates and the stories she collects. Joan will be teaching a Build Your Family Tree session for 8 to 10 years at the Calgary Public Library in November of 2011.
She is a member of the Genealogical Speaker’s Guild, the International Society of Genetic Genealogists and various genealogy societies. This busy genealogist writes a regular column entitled “From the Geneasphere” for “Chinook”, a publication of the Alberta Family History Society and serves on the Public Relations committee of that Society. Joan is the creator of the Luxegen Genealogy Blog which was named in Family Tree Magazine’s Top 40 Genealogy Blogs for 2011. She served as an Official Blogger for Rootstech 2011 and is delighted to be continuing in that role in 2012.
Joan, who lives with her husband and their daughter’s cat in Calgary, Alberta, Canada enjoys varied activities. She volunteers with Toastmasters International, plays indoor soccer, relishes outdoor pursuits and travels widely. She has admitted that she is a “Genealogy Conference Junkie”.
Joan inherited the genealogy gene from her maternal grandmother Isabel Irvine who was a family historian and great story teller. Her grandfather Bill Irvine kept a diary for 60 years! It was inevitable that one of the grandchildren would be interested in pursing their genealogy roots and that is Joan. Her genealogy interest goes back to around 1990.
Joan is researching KERR in Canada, Ireland and Scotland. IRVINE in Canada and Ireland; MILLER in New Brunswick, HENDERSON in Canada and Ireland; WILSON in Scotland; AUMACK in USA, Canada and Europe; MOSS, HARTSELL and PUTERBAUGH in USA. A more extensive list is located here. Joan also uses genetic genealogy to find cousins. (Genealogy Connections? Send a note using the contact form or by commenting on a post.)
Memberships and Affiliations
- Alberta Family Histories Society – PR Committee Member and Social Media Coordinator – maintain the AFHS Blog , Twitter @AlbertaFHS, AFHS on Facebook and Linkedin.
- AFHS DNA Special Interest Group Coordinator
- AFHS contact for the Federation of Genealogical Societies
- Associate Editor Blekko/genealogy slashtag
- Genealogical Speakers Guild – member
- International Society of Genetic Genealogists -member
- New England Historic Genealogical Society – member
- Quebec Family History Society – member
- Saskatchewan Genealogical Society – member
- Southern California Genealogical Society – member
- Toastmasters International – Member Bedstone Olympics Toastmasters, VP membership for Wit Pleasure Advanced Toastmasters. Awarded Distinguished Toastmaster January 2012.
- Genealogists for Families Kiva Project – Co-captain
- YDNA Aumack Surname Project – Co-Adminstrator
- From the Geneasphere: Capturing your Family Oral History. Chinook Volume 32, Number 1. Fall, October 2011.
- From the Geneasphere: Cyndi’s List by Joan Miller (columnist). Chinook Volume 31, Number 4. Summer, July 2011.
- From the Geneasphere: Genealogy Research Travel Kit by Joan Miller (columnist). Chinook Volume 31, Number 3. Spring, April 2011
- Surname Saturdays at Twitter by Joan Miller. Chinook Volume 31, Number 3. Spring, April 2011
- Become a Fan of AFHS on Social Media by Joan Miller. Chinook Volume 31, Number 3. Spring, April 2011
- From the Geneasphere: Tips and Suggestions for a First Time Visitor to Salt Lake City by Joan Miller (columnist). Chinook Volume 31, Number 2. Winter, January 2011
- Serendipity: Finding Your Roots with DNA by Joan Miller. Chinook Volume 31, Number 1. Fall October 2010
- From the Geneasphere: Genealogy Blogs. (columnist) Chinook Volume 31, Number 1. Fall October 2010
- AFHS Genealogy Blog by Joan Miller. Chinook Volume 30, Number 4. Summer July 2010.
- Minnie Moss, Mother of Meeting Lake and Verna Aumack by B. Joan Miller and Yvonne Aumack. Women Pioneers of Saskatchewan Book 2 in press 2010.
- Guest contribution. “Joan Miller Passionate Genealogist.” Obituarieshelp.org March 23, 2010
- Isabel (Woodland) Irvine: Women Pioneers of Saskatchewan by B. Joan Miller and Robert F. Irvine. Chinook Volume 30, Number 3. April 2010.
- Book Review and Interview: Women Pioneers of Saskatchewan by Joan Miller. Chinook volume 30, Number 2. January 2010.
- Blogger of Honor. Second Annual Arizona Family History Expo, Mesa January 22,23, 2009.
- Article contribution “Isabel Irvine”. Women Pioneers of Saskatchewan. Authors: B Joan Miller, Robert Irvine. 2009. Saskatchewan Genealogical Society. Editor Celeste D. Rider.
- “Family History Portals“. Blog post used with permission in Alberta Family Histories Society Award Winning Publication Chinook volume 29, Number 4. Summer, July 2009.
Presentations:(related to genealogy, DNA or youth)
- Speaking Engagement – November 26, 2011. Build a Family Tree. Calgary Public Library, Calgary, Alberta. (Youth 8 to 10 years.)
- Upcoming DNA SIG – Y-DNA – November 15, 2011. Alberta Family Histories Society
- Guest speaker on Geneabloggers Blog Talk Radio – September 23rd, 2011. How not to bore your family with genealogy.
- Genealogy Blog Panelist, Blogger Summit 2 – June 11, 2011. Blogger Panel, SCGS Jamboree, Burbank, California
- Genealogy World – Social Media Discussion host. June 10, 2011. SCGS, Jamboree, Burbank, California
- Research and Verify Your Ancestors with DNA – Understanding your FTDNA results. May 31, 2011 AFHS DNA Special Interest Group, Calgary, Alberta
- March 30, 2011. How Are You Coded? (Personal Genomics DNA). Bedstone Olympics Toastmasters, Calgary, Alberta
- Sept. 29, 2010. Family Tree Detective: Genealogy 101. University of Calgary, Faculty Women’s Club.
- August 2010 – A Cousin Once Removed (Genealogy) – Wit Pleasure Advanced Toastmasters, Calgary, AB
- January 2010 -A Cousin a Day Keeps the Boredom Away (Genealogy) – Bedstone Olympic Toastmasters, Calgary, Alberta
- October – November 2009. Youth Leadership Coordinator (Communication and Leadership) – Calgary Public Library, Thorncliff Branch 8 weeks. Ages – 12 to 16 years
Recent Genealogy Conferences, Seminars and Webinars Attended:
- AFHS November 2011 – Medical Genetics talk by Raechel Ferrier, certified genetics counsellor
- Family Tree DNA Project Administrators conference – November 2 to 4, 2011. Houston, Texas.
- Webinar – Exploring FamilyLink.com and WorldVitalRecords.com by their founder Paul Allen, September 16, 2011. LegacyFamilyTree.
- Webinar – Google+ The Next Big Thing – Paul Allen, Dan Lynch and Mark Olsen – August 15, 2011 (LegacyFamilyTree – recording and notes available)
- Webinar – The Power of DNA in Unlocking Family Relationships by Ugo Perego, July 13 (LegacyFamilyTree – recording and notes available )
- Webinar – Ready, Set, Write! Share Your Family’s Story by Lisa Alzo. June 29, 2011 (LegacyFamilyTree – recording and notes available)
- June 10 -12, 2011. Southern California Genealogical Society Jamboree, Burbank, California. Attended as speaker and participant.
- May 17, 2011 Email Marketing, Leveraging Social Media Network Seminar (collecting ideas in my role as social media coordinator for our genealogical society). Sponsored by Constant Contact.
- May 7, 2011. Social Media Marketing Unplugged. Calgary. Alberta (great ideas to benefit non profits such as our genealogy society).
- April 16, 17, 2011. Alberta Genealogical Society: Unlocking Doors to the Past, Edmonton, AB.
- February 10 -12, 2011. Rootstech.org, Salt Lake City, Utah (attending as an Official RootsTech Blogger)
- January – May 2011. Four Relative Roots DNA for genealogy webinars on various aspects of understanding FTDNA results
- October 2010 – Alberta Family Histories Society – Family Roots Event with Dick Eastman, Thomas MacEntee and Lyn Meehan
- June 11-13, 2010 Southern California Genealogical Society Jamboree, Burbank, California
- May 10, 2010 – Dr. Colleen Fitzpatrick – Forensic Genealogy, CSI Meets Roots; A Different Kind of DNA Talk; The Hand in the Snow and the Crash of Northwest Flight 4422.
- May 3, 2010 – Sherry Irvine – Plan and Analysis
- January 2010 – Mesa Family History Expos, Mesa Arizona (attended as Blogger of Honor)
- October 2008 – Dr. Colin Chapman – researching in England. Part 1, Part 2
- Interviews – StudioINTV (DNA, 2011) CanPress (LAC military records, 2011)
Recent scientific publications:
- Gavin E. Duggan, B Joan Miller, Frank R. Jirik, Hans J. Vogel. Metabolic profiling of vitamin C deficiency in Gulo -/- using proton NMR spectroscopy. J Biomol NMR. 2011 Apr;49(3-4):165-73. Epub 2011 Mar 1.
- Heit B, Robbins SM, Downey CM, Guan Z, Colarusso P, Miller BJ, Jirik FR, Kubes P. PTEN functions to ‘prioritize’ chemotactic cues and prevent ‘distraction’ in migrating neutrophils. Nat Immunol. 2008 Jul;9(7):743-52. Epub 2008 Jun 8.
- Cummings KJ, Kalf D, Moore S, Miller BJ, Jirik FR, Wilson RJ. Superoxide dismutase-1 influences the timing and post-hypoxic stability of neonatal breathing. Adv Exp Med Biol. 2008;605:133-8.
- Weljie AM, Dowlatabadi R, Miller BJ, Vogel HJ, Jirik FR.An inflammatory arthritis-associated metabolite biomarker pattern revealed by 1H NMR spectroscopy. J Proteome Res. 2007 Sep;6(9):3456-64. Epub 2007 Aug 15.
Selected Photo and Article credits:
- Prairie Horizon Newsletters – District 42 Alberta and Saskatchewan Toastmasters 2007/08
- Connections Newsletters – District 42 Division C Toastmasters 2008
- Saskatchewan Film Board 2006 (photography)
Member of the
- Other webpages, friends and family
- Luxegen Family Stories – links to our family tree
- Grandpa Irvine’s Diaries – This one isn’t moving along to quickly!
- Linked in Profile – connect with me here!
- Genealogy Know How – historic newspaper archives, obituaries and other databases
- Silver Sensations by Heather – our daughter’s webpage
- Luxegen Travel Blog – our meanderings around the globe
- DorkieDogAdvice – pictures of our “grand-dog”
- Kerv.net – our son’s lifestream website
- Friend Munira Jiwa’s Spring Forest Qigong website, her new site
- Brother Bill’s Mountain Climbing website