Are you a genealogist?
If so, how many family photos have you posted on Facebook?
How many important genealogy conversations have you had there?
You know the ones I mean….where someone gives you a genealogy link then you put it in a safe place and you can’t find it again?
Have you considered backing up all of that information? It is easy to do and here’s how.
You can back up your photos, your conversations, and your direct messages and create your own Facebook Archives.
Step 1. After logging in, go to Account Settings (upper right).
Step 2. Click on “Download a copy of your Facebook Data (see example circled in red above).
Step 3. Wait for the archive to be created and emailed to you. It will take several minutes if you have been on Facebook for awhile.
What’s in your Facebook Archive?
- Any photos or videos you’ve shared on Facebook
- Your Wall Posts, messages and chat conversations
- Your friends’ names and some of their email addresses (if they have allowed sharing of email addresses).
What’s not in your Facebook archive?
- Your friends’ photos and status updates
- Other people’s personal info
- comments you’ve made on other people’s posts.
Your archive will be emailed to you as a ZIP file which you can download and extract on your computer.
CAUTION – Protect your Facebook archive.
Your Facebook archive includes sensitive information such as your private wall posts, photos and profile information. Save your archive in a safe and secure place.
As you can see it is easy to create your own Facebook archive and not lose those genealogy tidbits and photos. Do it today!