Randy Seaver of Genea Musings regularly challenges the online genealogy crowd to some Saturday Night Genealogy Fun. The Mission this week –
1) Go to http://www.google.com/ and enter a search term and click on the “I’m Feeling Lucky” button.
2) Try your name, your local society, favorite genealogy terms, whatever you want. Do at least three, and as many as you want if you have time. Be creative! Have fun!
3) What did you learn from this exercise?
1. My Feeling Lucky Findings: (note these are all from www.google.CA not .com. The search engine defaults to the .ca in Canada.
- “Joan Miller” – gave me a real estate company. One of the Realtors has the same name as me. Do you know how many Joan Millers there are in the world? Lots!
- “Luxegen” – arrived at my website Luxegen Genealogy – http://www.luxegen.ca . That’s a good thing!
- “Alberta Family Histories Society” – landed right on the AFHS webpage -http://www.afhs.ab.ca/
- I’m the creator and caretaker of our newly launched blog at the AFHS so that was my next “Feeling Lucky” search: Bingo...that’s where we landed. Even without quotes we got there.
- “family history luxegen” bought up a page called Topsy that linked back to a post of mine where I discuss citing sources. It appears my post was picked up by Topsy from my Tweets @luxegen.
- “Surname Saturday” brought up Thomas MacEntee’s Geneabloggers website.
- “Genealogy Conferences” brought me to About.com’s Genealogy Events page.
- “Conferences Genealogy” (with the terms reversed) took us to the Geneablogger Conference page.
2. What did I learn?
- Luxegen and the new AFHS blog are being found on the first “Feeling Lucky” search
- My tweets on Twitter are being indexed by directories I didn’t know about
- Reversing the order of the search terms gives different results.
Thanks Randy for another fun SNGF.